We had bigger issues than the drywall with the ceiling in the kitchen, as we had to take part of it out to add a support beam to level the upstairs floor (see previous post). We ended up laying wood on the kitchen ceiling instead of painting it. For the hall, we ended up mudding over the popcorn ceiling and smoothing it out. This took three coats of mud and some sanding in between each one. It is smooth and pretty now and looks like all of the others.
A paintbrush has hit every wall and every ceiling on the bottom floor finally. Success feels sweet.
Here's the hall before (ceiling already smooth - I have no photo of before we did that). It's an L shape with one leg leading to the master bedroom and the other leg leading to the laundry room and back stairs.
I bought two lamps with old burlap shades at a junk/antique store last year. They have been sitting waiting on me to decide what to do with them and where to put them. The lamps are ugly and will need a makeover (which I think I can handle - wink, wink). But those shades have the rustic look we've got going on here. So off to Lowe's for some hanging light kits and we were in business.
And here's how they turned out.
We added a cedar board and hooks on it down the length of the wall. Since I went with my old faithful antique white paint which is kind of boring, I also wanted to spruce it up a little and so I added some cream colored stripes on that wall under the board. And voila!
A closer look at my hooks and stripes.
Yes, I realize that I have one door that is white and the rest are painted with my antique finish. Cut me some slack here. I will get to it...
I will add some art at some point and I have a plan for a homemade corkboard out of wine corks to go on the wall opposite the hooks to hold school papers, photos, etc. All in due time.
Now the kids have a place to hang their junk and I have no more unpainted surfaces (besides that door!) on the bottom floor. This can only mean one thing...time to head upstairs!